What if every day was July 4th? When you visit Dollywood this summer, you’ll have a chance to see for yourself! From June 14 – August 3, the famous Pigeon Forge theme park is celebrating the Great American Summer. This popular Dollywood festival captures the spirit of Independence Day with music, shows, and nightly fireworks displays. If you think that patriotic fun should last all summer long, you don’t want to miss this beloved Smoky Mountain tradition.
(See Related: Free Gatlinburg Event Returns With More Music and Fun)
During the Great American Summer, Dollywood stays open late. The theme park’s extended operating hours will be from 10 a.m to 10 p.m. With so many amazing things to do, you’re going to need all 12 hours!
Nights of Many Colors
Every night of the Great American Summer, guests will enjoy a fantastic fireworks display at Dollywood. Dolly Parton even wrote a special song called “Paint Your Dreams Across the Sky” just for the occasion!
Here are some of the recommended viewing areas for the fireworks:
- Adventures in Imagination between Dolly’s closet and Dreamsong Theater
- Country Fair in front of Grandstand Cafe
- The Front Gate in front of the Southern Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame
- Timber Canyon/Wilderness Pass
The Great American Summer also brings a great collection of shows to the Smokies. We’ve got the scoop on some of the most intriguing performances:
- Conceived by the artist Fan Yang, Gazillion Bubbles is a totally unique show that floods the stage with countless bubbles, lasers, and special effects. Yang’s show has been a huge hit in New York City and Las Vegas, and we’re sure it’s going to make a big splash in Pigeon Forge!
- Dreamland Drive-in is a musical review show featuring classic songs from the 50s and 60s. Whether you lived through this era or not, you’ll love this blast from the past.
- My People is a totally original show written by Dolly Parton and her family. You’ll hear Dolly’s siblings and other family members sing songs about growing up in the Great Smoky Mountains.
To see a full list of all the awesome shows running during this Dollywood festival, check out the official Dollywood website.
Looking for a place to stay close to Dollywood? Check out our Where to Stay page to find the perfect Pigeon Forge cabin for your family vacation.